Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular The study of proteomes and their functions.
- ‘The sequencing of the human genome, along with other advances in the fields of molecular biology, genomics and proteomics, is leading to the discovery of large numbers of genes and proteins.’
- ‘However, the clear rewards in using genomics and proteomics include the development of biomarkers, faster investigation of mechanisms of toxicity and screening of novel compounds.’
- ‘Biology is going through a revolution driven by a series of technological breakthroughs in genomics, proteomics, and metabolomics.’
- ‘Gene products identified by proteomics and genomics will require analysis by approaches that determine the function of each gene in the anaerobic response and how each gene or gene product contributes to survival.’
- ‘For future studies, whether using microarrays, proteomics or genetics, I believe it is essential that this requirement is met and it is now the time to develop large-scale annotation programmes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.