Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- [with modifier] ‘the genetic study of pancreatic proteinase in mice’another term for endopeptidase[count noun] ‘proteinases play an important role in lung injury after smoke inhalation’
- ‘Such hydrolytic enzymes as cystein proteinases, serine proteinases, and nucleases are highly induced during xylogenesis.’
- ‘The morphological and biochemical changes typical of apoptosis are orchestrated by caspases, a family of cysteine proteinases, which cleave proteins after aspartate residue.’
- ‘The inhibition of proteinases by protein proteinase inhibitors is an individual case of protein-protein interaction.’
- ‘This site is well characterized in trypsin and other serine proteinases.’
- ‘Researchers isolated the protein, a cysteine proteinase, from cultured tissue of resistant corn plants and obtained a patent last November for the gene sequence that encodes it.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.