Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The manipulation of the structures of proteins so as to produce desired properties, or the synthesis of proteins with particular structures.
- ‘In addition to contributing to the understanding of pigment binding, the molecular insight gained in this work will have a direct impact on protein engineering of all pigment-binding proteins.’
- ‘Protein stability plays an extremely important role not only in its biological function but also in medical science and protein engineering.’
- ‘Furthermore, the crystal structure of Rubisco from several species and the extensive homology of amino acid sequences has allowed the advance of genetic manipulation, protein engineering and transformation experiments.’
- ‘As such, tropoelastin and its synthetic analogs have been a subject of intense investigation in the field of biopolymers and protein engineering.’
- ‘Therefore, for many applications, an antibody of interest may require further ad hoc optimization by protein engineering to make it more stable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.