One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The theory or practice of shielding a country's domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports.
- ‘He promoted economic nationalism, protectionism, and further cuts in social spending.’
- ‘We don't have to choose between strict protectionism and unregulated free trade.’
- ‘Moreover, the smaller the country, the greater will be the pressure to opt for free trade rather than protectionism.’
- ‘They oppose industrial policy, nationalisation and protectionism.’
- ‘He tried to persuade organized labor that free trade and not protectionism was in its interests.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.