One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a hermaphrodite flower or animal) having the male reproductive organs come to maturity before the female.The opposite of protogynous
- ‘The flower is protandrous and presents an unusual sophisticated morphology: the pistil has an umbrella shape with the stigma at the angles, tightly enclosed by the bracts, petaloid sepals and petals.’
- ‘The flowers are protandrous, and larger plants have a lower pollen to ovule ratio than smaller plants, suggesting larger plants invest proportionally more in female function.’
- ‘Perfect flowers are protandrous, hence the stigmas open after anthesis, which reduces the probability of autogamous self-pollination.’
- ‘In many protandrous spiders, adult males cohabit with juvenile females nearing sexual maturity, and this may provide an index of expected mate availability for females.’
- ‘It is a wind-pollinated species, with hermaphroditic protandrous flowers (the first two days as male and three last days as female).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.