One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of compounds with varying hormone-like effects, notably the promotion of uterine contractions. They are cyclic fatty acids.‘the body's production of prostaglandins’
- ‘These chemicals, which include histamine, prostaglandins and leukotrienes, have three main effects in the body.’
- ‘They block the effect of the prostaglandins that cause the contractions.’
- ‘Aspirin blocks a group of enzymes that synthesize prostaglandins, which are hormones that assist in pain, inflammation and blood clotting.’
- ‘It prompts the body to release chemicals called prostaglandins, which trigger uterine contractions.’
- ‘This enzyme is responsible for your body's production of prostaglandins, hormone-like substances involved in inflammation and pain.’
1930s: from prostate + gland + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.