One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of imaginative poetic writing in prose.
- ‘For Stephane Mallarme, the prose poem afforded a pretext to digress or pursue a detour; La Pipe is a fine pre-Proustian exploration of the involuntary memory.’
- ‘Here, with this problem, the relatively new genre of the prose poem resurrects authorial intention as a key to reading.’
- ‘It argues that the prose poem is a medium for the transgression of genre rules, for experiment and literary change.’
- ‘The prose poem as surreal fable seemed a compelling option.’
- ‘Just as free verse did away with meter and rhyme, the prose poem does away with the line as the unit of composition.’
- ‘In the prose poem the poet can appropriate such unlikely models as the newspaper article, the memo, the list, the parable, the speech, the dialogue.’
- ‘For him, the prose poem is an effective ‘means of seduction.’’
- ‘To put it crudely, the genre of the novel was regarded then as monumental and patriarchal, and short prose could have multiple and diverse identities when incarnated variously as a prose poem, fragment, vignette, short story or essay.’
- ‘It's this rupture of the irrational, captured in the very term prose poem, that is the source of energy in the prose poem.’
- ‘Much of the almost 400-page novel reads like a prose poem, with lines like ‘the years ran into his hands and lined his skin like the knots in trees’.’
- ‘I remember being particularly influenced by e. e. cummings, by Kenneth Patchen, and by a Baudelaire prose poem I translated.’
- ‘But there's another interesting quality of the prose poem apart from that surreal experience presented with the openness of a passive dream state.’
- ‘From the point of view of adequacy, it makes no difference whether we have before us a prose poem or rhymed verse.’
- ‘Undoubtedly the conference on the prose poem, replete with ‘craft lectures,’ that was held in Walpole, New Hampshire, in August 2001, was the first of many to come.’
- ‘But if the letter began as an apology, it soon turns into a prose poem of personal and vocational despair.’
- ‘It favors the prose poem as lyric essay.’
- ‘In so reading, I was able also to challenge and reinvent the possibilities of the prose poem for myself and for my students.’
- ‘For the fiction writer, the prose poem (or ‘short short’) may be exhilarating because it allows an escape from the exigencies of the novel, novella, and short story.’
- ‘It doesn't need a first person; it can stretch toward pure narrative or the prose poem or the documentary; anything is possible.’
- ‘As twenty measures of gin to one measure of dry vermouth make an acceptable Martini, so one unit of poetry converts twenty of prose into a prose poem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.