One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Raw cured Italian ham, eaten especially in thin slices as an hors d'oeuvre.
- ‘I tried Parma ham, figs, prosciutto and pâté in the late Thirties, things the average family wouldn't taste until 30 years later.’
- ‘On Saturday evening there was a banquet with antipasti, sausage, pasta, prosciutto, cheese, salad, dessert, and lots of wine.’
- ‘Season the sturgeon fillets, brush with egg whites, and wrap each with two slices of prosciutto.’
- ‘Place a scallop on top of the ocean gelée, set a slice of prosciutto on top, and spoon some citrus sauce around the dish.’
- ‘Pounded veal is rolled around mozzarella and prosciutto, an Italian ham, and cooked in Marsala wine with mushrooms and onions.’
- ‘Then, in a glass bowl, mix the ground pancetta and prosciutto with the ground Italian sausage.’
- ‘Wonderfully ripe figs and prosciutto sliced thin as silk stockings dovetail gracefully with the help of a dense balsamic vinaigrette.’
- ‘I was delighted to find a wide selection of smoked meats, pâtés, prosciutto, sausages and cheeses.’
- ‘Line a plate with a slice of prosciutto and place the gnocchi on top.’
- ‘This time of year, start with ground turkey instead of beef, then add tropical jerk flavors from the Caribbean, and finally, swathe the loaf in thin slices of prosciutto.’
- ‘Lay two slices of the sweetbreads on top and arrange two slices of prosciutto around them.’
- ‘Put that pleasant duck prosciutto on an appetizer plate, however, and the leanings of the kitchen become apparent.’
- ‘For the fig with smoked prosciutto: In a small dish, place a halved fig with a slice of smoked prosciutto.’
- ‘So I got the Italian panini with prosciutto, mozzarella and Italian dressing.’
- ‘Do you think you can find decent prosciutto, salmon or Dim Sum there?’
- ‘My ham biscuits feature prosciutto instead of country ham, and are more likely to be served with a sweet and hot mustard sauce on rolls than biscuits.’
- ‘They can be dressed up by cutting them in half, plopping a dab of goat cheese on top and wrapping that with thinly sliced prosciutto ham.’
- ‘He says that while there will never be a substitute for really good Italian olive oil, prosciutto and some cheese, he doesn't see why you can't use British products in an Italian way.’
- ‘In the end I chose Italian prosciutto on a salad of blue cheese, roasted chestnut mushrooms and peppers to start.’
- ‘Today, use such cured meats as ham, prosciutto, bacon, and pancetta for the hints of salt, nuts, and spice that curing imparts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.