Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A gaseous hydrocarbon of the alkene series, made by cracking alkanes.→ propene
- ‘New metallocene catalysts are used in the preparation of new plastics, including new methods for the polymerization of alkenes such as ethylene and propylene.’
- ‘Specimens were dehydrated in a graded series of ethyl alcohol and propylene oxide solutions and embedded in araldite.’
- ‘Isopropyl alcohol is made from propylene, a petroleum derivative.’
- ‘He used a catalyst discovered by Karl Ziegler to produce polypropylene from propylene.’
- ‘Another major epoxide, propylene oxide, comes from propene reacting with organic hydroperoxides (more reactive equivalents of hydrogen peroxides).’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.