One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Of or denoting the alkyl radical —C₃H₇, derived from propane.Compare with isopropyl
- ‘The family's common names follow the standard alkane hydrocarbon sequence: methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben, etc.’
- ‘The first four alkyl groups are methyl, ethyl, propyl, and butyl, with the number of carbon atoms being one, two, three, and four respectively.’
- ‘The propyl group is a functional group derived from propane by the removal of a hydrogen atom.’
- ‘There are clear hints that it may be useful to combine the phenidone with methyl, ethyl, propyl, or isopropyl alcohol.’
- ‘Peak concentrations of propyl nitrate and butyl nitrate in south-central Kansas were 51 and 68 parts per trillion, respectively.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.