One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
as modifier Of or denoting the alkyl radical —C₃H₇, derived from propane.Compare with isopropyl
- ‘The family's common names follow the standard alkane hydrocarbon sequence: methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben, etc.’
- ‘The propyl group is a functional group derived from propane by the removal of a hydrogen atom.’
- ‘Peak concentrations of propyl nitrate and butyl nitrate in south-central Kansas were 51 and 68 parts per trillion, respectively.’
- ‘There are clear hints that it may be useful to combine the phenidone with methyl, ethyl, propyl, or isopropyl alcohol.’
- ‘The first four alkyl groups are methyl, ethyl, propyl, and butyl, with the number of carbon atoms being one, two, three, and four respectively.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.