One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound chemically related to methadone, used as a mild narcotic analgesic.
- ‘Other analgesics to avoid for older adult patients are propoxyphene and pentazocine.’
- ‘Drugs for which subjects were tested included cocaine, opiates, marijuana, phencyclidine, benzodiazepines, methaqualone, methadone, propoxyphene, barbiturates, and amphetamines.’
- ‘Opioids that should be avoided because of low efficacy and high side effect burden include meperidine, codeine, and propoxyphene.’
- ‘She received symptomatic therapy with naproxen and propoxyphene.’
- ‘His only current medication is propoxyphene for pain.’
1950s: from propyl + oxy- + -phene (from phenyl).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.