One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a way that corresponds in size or amount to something else.‘the risk of harm increases proportionately with the dose’‘a small rise in price will cause a proportionately smaller drop in sales’
- ‘The stream went from wide and shallow to thin and proportionately deep.’
- ‘I think it will raise costs for everyone, but the cost for a small firm will be proportionately larger.’
- ‘As they get bigger, they get proportionately cheaper to manage.’
- ‘Maintenance costs increase proportionately until costs exceed residual value.’
- ‘If you haven't worked for the full 44 years, your pension is reduced proportionately.’
- ‘Insurers will reduce their payout proportionately, if you haven't insured your home fully.’
- ‘They have to pay proportionately more for the rest of their life.’
- ‘Tax rates will be raised but revenues will not rise proportionately or at all.’
- ‘If you need more liquid, just increase the amounts proportionately.’
- ‘He wants the assets to be shared proportionately so that all members of the scheme get the same level of protection.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.