One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A red or brown resinous substance collected by honeybees from tree buds, used by them to fill crevices and to fix and varnish honeycombs.
- ‘Along with honey, bees produce a natural antibiotic called propolis which is a sticky substance that holds their comb together.’
- ‘Research shows that propolis offers antiseptic, antibiotic, antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties and is effective against many respiratory infections such as colds and influenza.’
- ‘It reported that bee products such as royal icily, propolis and venom might help prevent cancer by inhibiting tumor growth; the study was done on mice.’
- ‘He has given us light with wax, sustenance with honey and propolis, which is antiviral.’
- ‘In recent years, the biological and pharmacological properties of propolis have begun to receive more attention in the scientific community.’
- ‘Look for propolis in capsules, tablets, skin creams, tinctures, mouthwashes, toothpastes, and lozenges in your health food store.’
- ‘Other ingredients such as propolis, myrrh, tea tree and echinacea can help slow bacterial growth, strengthen gum tissue and prevent inflammation.’
- ‘Creams or ointments containing aloe vera or propolis (a natural anti-microbial agent extracted from beehives) have been found to help reduce the discomfort of cold sores and hasten their healing.’
- ‘Bees carry pollen, nectar, or both, as well as propolis (plant resin) or water, back to the hive.’
- ‘Natural honey-bee products such as propolis, royal jelly, caffeic acid, honey and venom may have applications in cancer treatment and prevention, say researchers.’
- ‘The jars are all capped with pieces of honeycomb, wax and propolis.’
- ‘Subjects with giardiasis (diagnosed via duodenal aspiration) received a five-day regimen of tinidazole or propolis.’
- ‘Use a cream containing propolis - it has immune-boosting properties and has been shown to help heal cold sores quickly and reduce the associated pain.’
- ‘Apart from honey, they produce beeswax, propolis, royal jelly and bee pollen, all of which have significant medicinal and cosmetic applications.’
- ‘They investigated the antigiardial activity of propolis in varying concentrations in an open trial in Cuba.’
- ‘According to the Scottish nutritionist, propolis is necessary because ‘bees have no immune system’.’
- ‘One to two parts of propolis (with impurities removed) were preferably crushed in ten parts of 35 proof ethanol.’
- ‘‘They mix it with saliva, pollen and beeswax to form propolis, a resinous yellow-brown to dark brown substance,’ she said.’
- ‘There are four main products of the hive that contain a broad spectrum of health and anti-aging secrets-bee pollen, propolis, honey and royal jelly…’
- ‘I also had a Pevonia Plantomer facial, in which they use numinous ampoules of propolis and lavender to soothe and hydrate the complexion.’
Early 17th century: via Latin from Greek propolis ‘suburb’, also ‘bee glue’, from pro ‘before’ + polis ‘city’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.