One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A pencil with a plastic or metal case and a thin replaceable lead that may be extended as the point is worn away.
- ‘Brochures, birthday cards and souvenir propelling pencils were handed out and passengers travelling in Airways' aircraft were all presented with a gift to commemorate the occasion.’
- ‘He took out his propelling pencil and wrote £4 in the light hand used in other books.’
- ‘He has two main tips - think in mini-grids first, and always use a propelling pencil.’
- ‘Yet it has proved a winner, if only because it has carried on the propelling pencil's pioneering work in reviving a handwriting culture among adults.’
- ‘In front there is my essential cellphone alongside my favourite drawing pen and, lastly, a good old-fashioned propelling pencil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.