One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deerlike North American mammal with a stocky body, long slim legs, and black horns that are shed and regrown annually.
Antilocapra americana, the only member of the family Antilocapridae
- ‘Such a policy would needlessly destroy millions of acres of already dwindling sage-steppe habitat that supports sage grouse and other grassland species, such as pronghorn, mule deer and golden eagles.’
- ‘The skulls of pronghorns are also distinctive.’
- ‘It could restore those lost interactions between the pronghorn and the cheetah, and at the same time help to halt the extinction of the African cheetah, which is highly endangered and very likely will face extinction in the next century.’
- ‘Similar patterns hold for many horned or antlered mammals, including African antelope, deer, and pronghorn.’
- ‘The pronghorn (an amazing mammal that can run nearly as fast as the cheetah, which it coevolved with) is also sensitive to these changes.’
- ‘Experts fear that if further development closes off these migration paths, it will interfere with the pronghorn's life cycle, eventually causing the species to disappear.’
- ‘Unlike pronghorn, elk, and deer, cattle will not move very far from water if they are not forced to, nor are they inclined to abandon an area until just about every bit of forage has been ingested.’
- ‘A goat-like animal often mistaken for a relative of the African antelope, the Sonoran pronghorn is one of five subspecies within the unique Antilocapridae family.’
- ‘Eagles, rattlesnakes, deer, pronghorn antelope, foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions roam the area.’
- ‘The cowboys left long ago, but the elk, bison, pronghorns, coyote and moose are still at large in a chilly wilderness.’
- ‘Next to this is an entire room filled with more exotic animals, including a monkey and baby, a pronghorn antelope and an otter.’
- ‘With a little luck and patience, you can see moose, pronghorns, bighorn sheep, coyotes, wolves, black bears, and grizzlies as well as ospreys, trumpeter swans, bald eagles, and lots of other birds.’
- ‘Because the giant bur cannot attach to the slender limbs of deer, pronghorn, and peccaries, the plant's range probably diminished after the extinction of the large Pleistocene mammals.’
- ‘Will they push coyotes back and ease pressure on pronghorns?’
- ‘Introducing free-ranging African cheetahs back to the Southwest, the scientists assert, could restore strong interactions with pronghorns and provide endangered cheetahs with new habitat.’
- ‘The pronghorn is more closely allied to deer than old-world antelopes.’
- ‘Descendants of some of these immigrants, such as deer and pronghorns, are still dominant in this area today.’
- ‘The pronghorn, like all other large North American mammals, suffered catastrophic population losses as the continent was settled.’
- ‘The only surviving species of the family is Antilocapra americana, the pronghorn antelope, which lives in western North America.’
- ‘Females, Byers found, expend huge efforts bullying other pronghorns, and much of their time is taken up jostling each other for the choicest napping spots.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.