One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deerlike North American mammal with a stocky body, long slim legs, and black horns that are shed and regrown annually.
Antilocapra americana, the only member of the family Antilocapridae
- ‘Introducing free-ranging African cheetahs back to the Southwest, the scientists assert, could restore strong interactions with pronghorns and provide endangered cheetahs with new habitat.’
- ‘Females, Byers found, expend huge efforts bullying other pronghorns, and much of their time is taken up jostling each other for the choicest napping spots.’
- ‘The skulls of pronghorns are also distinctive.’
- ‘Will they push coyotes back and ease pressure on pronghorns?’
- ‘It could restore those lost interactions between the pronghorn and the cheetah, and at the same time help to halt the extinction of the African cheetah, which is highly endangered and very likely will face extinction in the next century.’
- ‘Similar patterns hold for many horned or antlered mammals, including African antelope, deer, and pronghorn.’
- ‘The pronghorn, like all other large North American mammals, suffered catastrophic population losses as the continent was settled.’
- ‘With a little luck and patience, you can see moose, pronghorns, bighorn sheep, coyotes, wolves, black bears, and grizzlies as well as ospreys, trumpeter swans, bald eagles, and lots of other birds.’
- ‘Experts fear that if further development closes off these migration paths, it will interfere with the pronghorn's life cycle, eventually causing the species to disappear.’
- ‘Such a policy would needlessly destroy millions of acres of already dwindling sage-steppe habitat that supports sage grouse and other grassland species, such as pronghorn, mule deer and golden eagles.’
- ‘The only surviving species of the family is Antilocapra americana, the pronghorn antelope, which lives in western North America.’
- ‘Eagles, rattlesnakes, deer, pronghorn antelope, foxes, coyotes, and mountain lions roam the area.’
- ‘The cowboys left long ago, but the elk, bison, pronghorns, coyote and moose are still at large in a chilly wilderness.’
- ‘The pronghorn (an amazing mammal that can run nearly as fast as the cheetah, which it coevolved with) is also sensitive to these changes.’
- ‘Because the giant bur cannot attach to the slender limbs of deer, pronghorn, and peccaries, the plant's range probably diminished after the extinction of the large Pleistocene mammals.’
- ‘The pronghorn is more closely allied to deer than old-world antelopes.’
- ‘A goat-like animal often mistaken for a relative of the African antelope, the Sonoran pronghorn is one of five subspecies within the unique Antilocapridae family.’
- ‘Next to this is an entire room filled with more exotic animals, including a monkey and baby, a pronghorn antelope and an otter.’
- ‘Descendants of some of these immigrants, such as deer and pronghorns, are still dominant in this area today.’
- ‘Unlike pronghorn, elk, and deer, cattle will not move very far from water if they are not forced to, nor are they inclined to abandon an area until just about every bit of forage has been ingested.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.