Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1 Turn or hold (a hand, foot, or limb) so that the palm or sole is facing downwards or inwards.‘a pronated foot’Compare with supinate
- ‘Instead of stopping at the top as you normally would on a squat, perform an upright row by pulling the dumbbells up to your collarbones as you pronate your hands - then push off the balls of your feet as the weights reach their maximum height.’
- ‘Your forearms - and your upper arms, to a degree - are internally rotated when your hands are pronated (palms facing backward) during the bent-over lateral raise.’
- ‘Patients are reluctant to pronate the hand or to flex the elbow beyond 90 degrees.’
- ‘At the time of the incident, the foot was pronated in the sagittal plane in each case.’
- ‘The radius and ulna of the forelimb are twisted indicating that the hand was pronated, but without the hand bones we cannot tell if it was modified into the tubular, fingerless structure of later sauropods.’
- 1.1[no object]Walk or run with most of the weight on the inside edge of the feet.
- ‘I know because I pronate inwards and my NB shoes correct it perfectly!’
- ‘In 2004, EVO Fitness will introduce a treadmill with a computerized system that senses if users are pronating (rolling the foot inward) or supinating (rolling the foot outward).’
- ‘If you have a high, weak arch, and pronate plus wear flip flops you could be doing yourself some harm!’
- ‘You need a fast, flexible shoe, but you require some stability because your ankles pronate.’
- ‘Chris is still cramping, and pronating worse than I am.’
Mid 19th century: back-formation from pronation, based on Latin pronus leaning forward.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.