One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘This year started promisingly for Tony Labbozzetta.’
- ‘They began promisingly enough and twice eased in front in the early minutes, but they did no more than flatter to deceive and were a well beaten side long before the hour had run its course.’
- ‘The afternoon began quite promisingly for York.’
- ‘More to the point, why is it suddenly raining outside when I've just finished a load of washing that needs to dry and it was promisingly sunny and breezy an hour ago?’
- ‘It was an anti-climactic end to a game which had begun promisingly with both sides threatening to break the deadlock inside the first few minutes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.