Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
That has been forbidden; banned.‘they had deliberately fed prohibited material to their herd’
- ‘When inspecting vegetable packing operations, I evaluate the risks of contamination by prohibited substances and commingling with non-organic products.’
- ‘The Chief of Navy, VADM Chris Ritchie, said he was determined to eliminate the use of prohibited drugs in the navy.’
- ‘The Jockey Club in Britain last week issued as statement confirming over 20 samples in Ireland and Britain have screened positive for morphine, which is a prohibited substance.’
- ‘Pavements and sidewalks are also likely to be prohibited places.’
- ‘In practice far fewer motorcycles are prohibited than cars during these specific operations.’
- ‘In some cases police witch-hunt the individuals by distributing cards in the local community with their photographs and the prohibited behaviour.’
- ‘Airport Screeners saw a prohibited object in an X-ray image of a carry-on bag after the passenger left the checkpoint.’
- ‘The proposal opens up a potentially significant new penalty by urging states to inspect cargo on Iranian ships and aircraft if they are suspected of transporting prohibited nuclear-related items.’
- ‘From 1991 to 1998, the UN Special Commission (UNSCOM) identified and dismantled almost all of Iraq's prohibited weapons.’
- ‘The US only allows stem cell research in privately funded laboratories - cloning is prohibited.’
- ‘He said: "What has been most encouraging is the type and variety of weapons handed in, which have included a significant number of real and prohibited guns."’
- ‘Article 45 refers to prohibited weapons and their components not just firearms and prohibited ammunition.’
- ‘This bill did seek to amend the Misuse of Drugs Act by inserting a new definition of industrial hemp and excluding industrial hemp from the definition of a prohibited plant.’
- ‘In the present case it is such a prohibited item.’
- ‘EPO is banned, in and out of competition, under the World Anti-Doping Code's list of prohibited drugs.’
- ‘The court said I didn't say anything that was prohibited.’
- ‘Anna Peters denied being knowingly concerned with the importation of prohibited goods and she was cleared following a trial at Chelmsford Crown Court.’
- ‘By then, Unmovic inspectors had carried out some 700 inspections at 500 sites without finding prohibited weapons.’
- ‘A 28-year-old Nimbin man has been charged with the cultivation, possession and supply of a prohibited drug, and goods in custody, following a police raid last Wednesday.’
- ‘A 40-year-old woman and a 36-year-old male were charged with cultivating a prohibited drug and will appear in Ballina Court on Jan 15.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.