One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a computer or other machine) able to be provided with coded instructions for the automatic performance of a task.‘a programmable thermostat allows you to preset your home's heating patterns’‘the camera is fully programmable’
- ‘All the buttons are programmable.’
- ‘The programmable control unit will determine when the valves open and close by sending a 24 - volt signal creating a magnetic field that moves a small metal plunger inside the valve.’
- ‘Some of the items feature programmable options.’
- ‘We mentioned earlier that there are a number of programmable buttons on the remote.’
- ‘They have developed a special programmable chip.’
- ‘The programmable system automatically brings the desired item within reach.’
- ‘The hand tools of the past have often been replaced by programmable machines.’
- ‘Installing a programmable thermostat could cut your heating and cooling bills by up to 10% a year.’
- ‘The graphics chips have become truly programmable processors.’
- ‘It features six dedicated programmable keys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.