Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each segment in the strobila of a tapeworm, containing a complete sexually mature reproductive system.
- ‘Posterior to the scolex are segments called proglottids.’
- ‘Their bodies are long and flat, made up of many segments called proglottids.’
- ‘About 10 posterior proglottids from each of five adult cestodes were longitudinally disrupted with sterilized forceps.’
- ‘Each segment, or proglottid, may contain as many as 40,000 eggs.’
- ‘Eggs are released by disintegration or rupture of ripened proglottids.’
Late 19th century: from Greek proglōssis, proglōssid- point of the tongue, based on glōssa, glōtta tongue (because of its shape).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.