Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each segment in the strobila of a tapeworm, containing a complete sexually mature reproductive system.
- ‘Posterior to the scolex are segments called proglottids.’
- ‘Eggs are released by disintegration or rupture of ripened proglottids.’
- ‘Each segment, or proglottid, may contain as many as 40,000 eggs.’
- ‘About 10 posterior proglottids from each of five adult cestodes were longitudinally disrupted with sterilized forceps.’
- ‘Their bodies are long and flat, made up of many segments called proglottids.’
Late 19th century: from Greek proglōssis, proglōssid- ‘point of the tongue’, based on glōssa, glōtta ‘tongue’ (because of its shape).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.