Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for progestogen
- ‘HRT is made up of two types of hormones, oestrogens and progestins, or synthetic progesterone.’
- ‘Women in both groups will also wear a patch that delivers estrogen and take tablets containing the hormone progestin.’
- ‘It is well known that gonadal steroids such as progestins, androgens and estrogens are produced by the ovary under the influence of gonadotropins.’
- ‘He had developed a pill, containing synthetically produced versions of the hormones oestrogen and progestin, which would suppress ovulation apparently without side-effects.’
- ‘Reported androgenic effects of synthetic progestins include fluid retention, reduction of HDL cholesterol levels, headaches and mood disturbance.’
1930s: from pro- + gestation + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.