One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A steroid hormone released by the corpus luteum that stimulates the uterus to prepare for pregnancy.
- ‘Ovulation will not occur and there will be no formation of a corpus luteum to secrete progesterone and oestrogen.’
- ‘The ovaries also produce the female hormones, oestrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘You stick it on your skin and it releases two hormones - oestrogen and progesterone.’
- ‘In girls, the female hormones oestrogen and progesterone are produced in the ovaries.’
- ‘During pregnancy, the amount of two female hormones, oestrogen and progesterone, increases.’
1930s: blend of progestin and the German synonym Luteosteron (from corpus luteum + sterol).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.