Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female progenitor.
female parent, materfamilias, matriarchView synonyms
- ‘She was a worthy progenitress of a long line of most charming women novelists.’
- ‘By ones, twos, and threes her descendants came to mourn over their progenitress.’
- ‘The book of Ruth embraces the foreign wife, Ruth the Moabitess, and gives her the honorific role of progenitress in King David's lineage.’
- ‘The women of any clan are the progenitresses, the foremothers who should be honored along with the sires.’
- ‘We think there may have been a single progenitress - a single parasite.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.