One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female progenitor.
female parent, materfamilias, matriarchView synonyms
- ‘She was a worthy progenitress of a long line of most charming women novelists.’
- ‘We think there may have been a single progenitress - a single parasite.’
- ‘The women of any clan are the progenitresses, the foremothers who should be honored along with the sires.’
- ‘By ones, twos, and threes her descendants came to mourn over their progenitress.’
- ‘The book of Ruth embraces the foreign wife, Ruth the Moabitess, and gives her the honorific role of progenitress in King David's lineage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.