One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A female progenitor.
female parent, materfamilias, matriarchView synonyms
- ‘The women of any clan are the progenitresses, the foremothers who should be honored along with the sires.’
- ‘The book of Ruth embraces the foreign wife, Ruth the Moabitess, and gives her the honorific role of progenitress in King David's lineage.’
- ‘She was a worthy progenitress of a long line of most charming women novelists.’
- ‘We think there may have been a single progenitress - a single parasite.’
- ‘By ones, twos, and threes her descendants came to mourn over their progenitress.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.