Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A female progenitor.
female parent, materfamilias, matriarchView synonyms
- ‘She was a worthy progenitress of a long line of most charming women novelists.’
- ‘By ones, twos, and threes her descendants came to mourn over their progenitress.’
- ‘We think there may have been a single progenitress - a single parasite.’
- ‘The women of any clan are the progenitresses, the foremothers who should be honored along with the sires.’
- ‘The book of Ruth embraces the foreign wife, Ruth the Moabitess, and gives her the honorific role of progenitress in King David's lineage.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.