Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A statement issued by a company advising the stock market that profits will be lower than expected.
- ‘The stationer, which issued a profit warning in January, reports interims on Thursday.’
- ‘Every share picker endures a stomach-churning profit warning from time to time.’
- ‘Gucci has complained of a post-terrorism slump, ditto Mulberry, which now attributes a recent profits warning to the same cause.’
- ‘The last time IBM issued a profit warning was more than a decade ago in June 1991.’
- ‘Hewlett-Packard issued a profit warning for its first fiscal quarter today.’
- ‘AMD has joined the ranks of US tech companies to issue a profit warning.’
- ‘A lot of the rise in the share price is due to the rebound in its shares following a profit warning last year.’
- ‘Jarvis, the PFI specialist, announced its third profit warning in four months.’
- ‘Expect Apple to issue a profit warning for its current, third fiscal quarter.’
- ‘Within two years of coming to market, Allders issued its first profit warning.’
- ‘The dire performance from Country Casuals, which has 200 stores across the UK, prompted a profits warning from Austin Reed in July.’
- ‘However, cost cutting at the no-frills airline has not quite kept pace - hence the unexpected profit warning.’
- ‘Global financial services giant, the US-based American Express issued a profit warning.’
- ‘He was fined £15,000 for selling 70,000 shares ahead of a profit warning.’
- ‘Last August, the company issued a profit warning.’
- ‘Possible expansion was, however, tempered with some bad news with the issuing of a profit warning for Waterford Wedgwood.’
- ‘On March 1 Oracle issued a profit warning - its first in three years.’
- ‘The chipmaker sought to distance itself from Intel, which last week issued a profit warning, citing reduced PC demand in Europe.’
- ‘Beleaguered telecom equipment group Marconi saw over half its value wiped out yesterday in the aftermath of its profit warning.’
- ‘The market response to the profit warning was swift.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.