One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A statement issued by a company advising the stock market that profits will be lower than expected.
- ‘Jarvis, the PFI specialist, announced its third profit warning in four months.’
- ‘Within two years of coming to market, Allders issued its first profit warning.’
- ‘Last August, the company issued a profit warning.’
- ‘The market response to the profit warning was swift.’
- ‘Every share picker endures a stomach-churning profit warning from time to time.’
- ‘He was fined £15,000 for selling 70,000 shares ahead of a profit warning.’
- ‘On March 1 Oracle issued a profit warning - its first in three years.’
- ‘Possible expansion was, however, tempered with some bad news with the issuing of a profit warning for Waterford Wedgwood.’
- ‘Expect Apple to issue a profit warning for its current, third fiscal quarter.’
- ‘Gucci has complained of a post-terrorism slump, ditto Mulberry, which now attributes a recent profits warning to the same cause.’
- ‘Hewlett-Packard issued a profit warning for its first fiscal quarter today.’
- ‘However, cost cutting at the no-frills airline has not quite kept pace - hence the unexpected profit warning.’
- ‘Global financial services giant, the US-based American Express issued a profit warning.’
- ‘A lot of the rise in the share price is due to the rebound in its shares following a profit warning last year.’
- ‘The dire performance from Country Casuals, which has 200 stores across the UK, prompted a profits warning from Austin Reed in July.’
- ‘The chipmaker sought to distance itself from Intel, which last week issued a profit warning, citing reduced PC demand in Europe.’
- ‘The last time IBM issued a profit warning was more than a decade ago in June 1991.’
- ‘The stationer, which issued a profit warning in January, reports interims on Thursday.’
- ‘AMD has joined the ranks of US tech companies to issue a profit warning.’
- ‘Beleaguered telecom equipment group Marconi saw over half its value wiped out yesterday in the aftermath of its profit warning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.