One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The desire for financial gain as an incentive in economic activity.‘when suppliers are not driven by the profit motive, they cease to be customer-oriented’
- ‘We should never lose sight of the fact that the driving force for all economic activity within a free market is that profit motive.’
- ‘The goal is to combine the profit motive with the need to arrest the shocking degradation of the forest.’
- ‘Current development, guided by shortsighted profit motives, appears to address only the luxury segment of the commercial office and residential markets.’
- ‘The profit motive can be channeled in ways which are socially desirable as well as in ways which are socially destructive.’
- ‘The profit motive helps private sector managers focus.’
- ‘In his career as a public servant he also ignored the profit motive.’
- ‘A satisfactory society cannot be driven primarily by the profit motive or market forces.’
- ‘Since the profit motive was also absent, central planning stifled all aspects of entrepreneurial activity.’
- ‘The nonprofits worry that too much stress on the profit motive can compromise the quality of care.’
- ‘For many of today's space pioneers, the profit motive seems to be less important than the sheer possibility of what they're trying to do.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.