One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A part of an organization with assignable revenues and costs and hence ascertainable profitability.
- ‘Salaries were set low, but now each manager could earn a bonus pegged to the earnings of his profit center.’
- ‘The headquarters is a holding company in that it serves as a profit centre, and does not otherwise direct activities at the periphery.’
- ‘He's probably already got a better ‘in’ with the CEO, as he's a profit center, not a cost center.’
- ‘Donovan, however, now runs the biggest profit centre in the bank and is said to be making a big mark in his job as head of wholesale banking.’
- ‘One of the reasons I'm so optimistic about the music business going forward is that the actual promotional cost center becomes a profit center in and of itself.’
- ‘As a vice president, I oversaw multiple businesses in beauty care and led our largest profit center in North America to the best results we'd had in a decade.’
- ‘At first, the policies were a big profit center for the industry.’
- ‘For the Chicago bank, the mortgage program is a big profit center.’
- ‘This concerns investors because the programs are becoming a huge profit center for retailers.’
- ‘A good employee can become a new profit center - driving sales, helping others succeed, giving your business a better reputation, and making the office a better place to be.’
- ‘Can you foresee that the U.S. will become a major profit center?’
- ‘As a result, he says, pension plans are now effectively a profit center.’
- ‘With their expanding power, many retailers were treating traditional co-op as a profit centre, diverting funds to offset operating costs.’
- ‘The problem with relying upon just one profit center is that a single profit center can go up, or it can go down.’
- ‘Subprime can be a huge profit center, with spreads of 12 percentage points or higher.’
- ‘The Internet allows you to outsource those to a company, industry or entity that has actually converted that to a profit center.’
- ‘Even today, the agency actually looks like a profit center in the federal budget.’
- ‘The Smith & Wesson product line has always been a profit center for retail gun dealers.’
- ‘After all, customer service is a cost, not a profit center, and if you can cut those costs, you win.’
- ‘The promotion has become the only profit center for the major carriers today.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.