Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The recording and analysis of a person's psychological and behavioural characteristics, so as to assess or predict their capabilities in a certain sphere or to assist in identifying categories of people.‘we put everyone through psychometric profiling’‘the police are building up a comprehensive system of offender profiling to assist in the hunt for murderers and rapists’
- ‘There's no psychological profiling or involuntary behavioural modification going on here, just a cassette playing a muffled selection of old dance anthems, the hits of Ibiza '97.’
- ‘The goal of investigative psychology's form of profiling, like all profiling, is to infer characteristics of a criminal based on his or her behavior during the crime.’
- ‘The Israelis also use ethnic and behavioral profiling to spot everything from mules - unwitting accomplices who carry lethal devices - to suicide bombers.’
- ‘This is the second myth of ID checks: that identification combined with profiling can be an indicator of intention.’
- ‘In their search for the sniper, police are relying on psychological profiling to better understand and predict what's going through the sniper's mind.’
- ‘It is important that research continues in order to establish how far profiling could be clinically useful, and it is critical that developments are kept under review.’
- ‘That's been the biggest nut to crack with selling psychological profiling.’
- ‘Despite those late hitches, David Stuttard's new adaptation of Antigone, with its value-added psychological profiling, still emerged triumphant.’
- ‘Now, I have spoken to FBI profilers and it is a fascinating subject, but psychological profiling has a relatively limited application.’
- ‘This company specializes in psychological profiling.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.