One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially in soccer) a deliberate foul to deny an opponent an advantageous position.
- ‘Commentators excuse the action by calling it a professional foul, but the reality is that if the rules of the game are broken it is a foul and should be suitably punished.’
- ‘Wiley deliberated long and hard, consulting his assistant to heighten the drama, but as professional fouls go it was as clear-cut as they come.’
- ‘There was only one possible outcome for the clearest professional foul we have seen so far this season.’
- ‘All they got from this was a penalty, when a penalty try would have been more appropriate for such a deliberate professional foul.’
- ‘Whyte, indeed, was red-carded for a professional foul on Shearer at Ewood Park in this campaign.’
- ‘Rosen Kirilov gets booked for a professional foul on Freddie Ljungberg.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.