Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(especially in soccer) a deliberate foul to deny an opponent an advantageous position.
- ‘Rosen Kirilov gets booked for a professional foul on Freddie Ljungberg.’
- ‘Wiley deliberated long and hard, consulting his assistant to heighten the drama, but as professional fouls go it was as clear-cut as they come.’
- ‘Commentators excuse the action by calling it a professional foul, but the reality is that if the rules of the game are broken it is a foul and should be suitably punished.’
- ‘Whyte, indeed, was red-carded for a professional foul on Shearer at Ewood Park in this campaign.’
- ‘There was only one possible outcome for the clearest professional foul we have seen so far this season.’
- ‘All they got from this was a penalty, when a penalty try would have been more appropriate for such a deliberate professional foul.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.