One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A biologically inactive compound which can be metabolized in the body to produce a drug.
- ‘The antihistamine loratidine is one example of a prodrug that must be activated by liver enzymes to be effective, the researchers pointed out in their paper.’
- ‘At Cardiff, she is promoting a more proactive role for polymers: ‘as integral parts of therapeutics, which could be thought of as macromolecular prodrugs, or even as drugs in their own right’.’
- ‘An ester prodrug was shown to increase the bioavailability of MPA following oral administration.’
- ‘ALA is a prodrug and is being used as a photodynamic diagnosis agent in head and neck cancers.’
- ‘While remaining innocuous to the normal tissues, the prodrug is converted to the cytotoxin by the enzyme localised at the tumour.’
- ‘As the prodrug is metabolically converted to its cytotoxic form, it penetrates the cell bearing the bound enzyme as well as ‘naked’ cells that are nearby.’
- ‘Valacyclovir, a prodrug that metabolizes to acyclovir, has better bioavailability and requires less frequent dosing than acyclovir.’
- ‘In summary, this study has confirmed quantitatively the considerable degree to which the delivery of the ALA prodrug can be enhanced by iontophoresis of the simple, cationic alkyl esters at neutral pH.’
- ‘They waited a bit to give the unbound nanobodies time to filter out of the body, then injected the prodrug.’
- ‘Cefuroxime axetil is the ester prodrug of cefuroxime sodium, suitable for oral administration.’
- ‘The improvement of bioavailability of ALA by application of ALA esters is determined by two processes: the rate of diffusion of the prodrug through the cell membrane and its rate of enzymatic conversion into ALA.’
- ‘This involves gene transfer of an enzyme into tumour cells, which converts an inactive prodrug into a toxic metabolite, leading to cell death.’
- ‘Codeine, a prodrug, depends on P450 metabolism to morphine for its analgesic effect.’
- ‘Bouncing powerful X-rays off the protein crystals yielded a three-dimensional image of the dual protein structure, showing them exactly how the prodrug and the enzyme interact.’
- ‘A second important aspect of the invention is to have the second binding head capture or contain an enzyme that activates a prodrug substrate.’
- ‘The influence of branching on the enzymatic stability of the compounds was investigated, as it is known that sterically hindered ester prodrugs are more stable toward enzymatic hydrolysis.’
- ‘Here the enzyme lays dormant until non-toxic drugs, called prodrugs, are given.’
- ‘In addition, the drugs which can increase GSH content, such as cysteine prodrugs, will also reduce acetaminophen hepatotoxicity.’
- ‘It is a prodrug that is converted intracellularly to various metabolites that bind to the enzyme thymidylate synthase, inhibiting synthesis of thymidine, DNA, and RNA.’
- ‘The use of targeting antibodies conjugated to enzymes that selectively activate antineoplastic prodrugs on or near cancer cells (known as antibody-directed enzyme prodrug therapy, or ADEPT) is also addressed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.