[mass noun] Inflammation of the rectum and anus.
- ‘Crohn's disease and, more commonly, ulcerative colitis can involve the rectal area, presenting as proctitis or fistulae.’
- ‘The differential diagnosis for this problem includes hemorrhoids, solitary rectal ulcer, diverticular bleeding, angiodysplasia, and proctitis.’
- ‘Mesalamine suppositories are effective in maintaining remission in patients with proctitis.’
- ‘In severe radiation proctitis, a short course of hydrocortisone foam enemas may be beneficial.’
- ‘Perianal infection with associated proctitis is common in homosexual men.’
Early 19th century: from Greek prōktos anus + -itis.