One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound derived from phenothiazine, used as a tranquillizer.
- ‘The most effective medications at this time appear to be prochlorperazine, chlorpromazine and sumatriptan, each having a pain-relief efficacy in acute migraine of greater than 70 percent.’
- ‘Besides ergotamine and prochlorperazine, very few migraine-specific medications are available in suppository form.’
- ‘The phenothiazines prochlorperazine and chlorpromazine have been shown to reduce nausea and vomiting of pregnancy compared with placebo.’
- ‘Alternative PRN antiemetics (e.g., prochlorperazine, lorazepam, metoclopramide) are a more rational choice as an adjunct to properly scheduled granisetron or ondansetron.’
- ‘Several antiemetics, such as metoclopramide, chlorpromazine, prochlorperazine, and promethazine, are regarded as safe for use during pregnancy.’
1950s: from pro(pyl) + chlor(ine) + (pi)perazine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.