Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A mammal of the order Proboscidea, which comprises the elephants and their extinct relatives.
- ‘In addition, because they are believed to be the sister group to proboscideans, their aquatic preferences raise interesting evolutionary questions.’
- ‘The earliest proboscideans lacked any trunk or tusks.’
- ‘The nature and behavior of these proboscideans have also haunted South African naturalist Lyall Watson, who evokes their world in Elephantoms: Tracking the Elephant (W. W. Norton).’
- ‘There were once more than 300 species within the family, known as proboscideans, but today only Asian elephants and African elephants still exist.’
- ‘The team found several species of archaic proboscideans called Palaeomastodons previously known from 32-million-year-old coastal sediments in Fayum, Egypt.’
Relating to or denoting proboscideans.
- ‘If climate was the culprit, then people and proboscideans should have shared some of the same territory, at least until climate change shrunk proboscidean habitat.’
- ‘Hypsodonty has been shown to be a spurious correlate to obligate grazing in previous studies on certain equid and proboscidean taxa as well.’
- ‘Climate change, then, cannot account for proboscidean extinction "unless one were to invoke serial climatic change that perfectly tracks human global colonization."’
- ‘If people hunted these animals to extinction, the authors argue, the kill sites should appear along the border between proboscidean and human ranges.’
- ‘As humans moved north into Eurasia from Africa and, later, south from Alaska across the Americas, proboscidean range contracted correspondingly.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.