One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person appointed to supervise offenders who are on probation.
- ‘At the time he saw the probation officer the appellant was still seeking to suggest that the victim was a consenting party.’
- ‘It seems stupid to me to miss an appointment with your probation officer if that's going to land you in jail.’
- ‘It is noted that both the probation officer and the debtor are professionally part of the criminal justice system.’
- ‘The accused testified that she worked well with her probation officer.’
- ‘In a bid to kick the habit, he missed appointments with his probation officer knowing he would be sent back to jail where he could get the help he needed.’
- ‘Neither probation officer recommends release on parole and the panel agreed with this assessment.’
- ‘In 1974, his wife complained to a probation officer of X's conduct; he was arrested and taken back to the same hospital.’
- ‘The suggestion by the probation officer should have been disregarded, as there is no basis for that opinion from a non-expert.’
- ‘Treatment was usually imposed as a condition of supervision by a judge or the probation officer.’
- ‘She was found guilty and the case was postponed to September 11 for a probation officer's report and sentencing.’
- ‘He admitted his involvement on his second visit to his probation officer and thereafter failed to receive a visit from his supervising officer.’
- ‘With a degree in political science and criminology, he became a probation officer in Florida.’
- ‘He is also banned from several council offices except when he is accompanied by his probation officer or an official from Shelter charity for the homeless.’
- ‘The probation officer provided a report to the Parole Board.’
- ‘We do not want a sex offender to be allowed out on supervision undertaken by a probation officer during the term of his or her imprisonment.’
- ‘When the writings were found by his parents, they turned them in to his probation officer and he was arrested.’
- ‘The probation officer reports for your current review, that there is nothing in your attitude or circumstances that leads her to feel that anything has changed.’
- ‘Disciplinary action was taken immediately and the probation officer was informed.’
- ‘Offenders supervised at these levels were required to meet with their probation officer at least once a month.’
- ‘He said that in his last visit with his probation officer she had said that he didn't need to come back.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.