One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The branch of mathematics that deals with quantities having random distributions.
- ‘I was appointed Professor of Mathematics to raise the profile of probability theory (but not statistics) in the Faculty of Mathematics.’
- ‘The mathematical concepts of set theory or even probability theory are useful tools for logically and thoroughly analyzing the outcome of an election.’
- ‘His main research topics were number theory, probability theory and mathematical statistics.’
- ‘At that time, few mathematicians regarded probability theory as an authentic mathematical field, in the same strict sense that they regarded differential and integral calculus.’
- ‘Her work at this time was on statistics, in particular probability theory, and also on the mathematical theory of plasticity.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.