One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A winner of a prize, especially an academic one.‘he was one of the two prizemen in his year’
winner, champion, conqueror, vanquisher, conquering hero, heroView synonyms
- ‘Further examinations saw him become first Smith's prizeman and he was elected a fellow of Peterhouse.’
- ‘He was Pemberton and Yeats prizeman, and Bladwin scholar and research scholar in 1927.’
- ‘Whittaker was elected as a fellow of Trinity College in 1896 and became first Smith's prizeman in 1897 for a work on pure mathematics, namely on uniform functions.’
- ‘He graduated in 1850 as second wrangler and Smith's prizeman.’
- ‘In 1880 he graduated as Senior Wrangler (the top First Class student) and he was first Smith's prizeman.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.