One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A winner of a prize, especially an academic one.‘he was one of the two prizemen in his year’
winner, champion, conqueror, vanquisher, conquering hero, heroView synonyms
- ‘He graduated in 1850 as second wrangler and Smith's prizeman.’
- ‘He was Pemberton and Yeats prizeman, and Bladwin scholar and research scholar in 1927.’
- ‘In 1880 he graduated as Senior Wrangler (the top First Class student) and he was first Smith's prizeman.’
- ‘Further examinations saw him become first Smith's prizeman and he was elected a fellow of Peterhouse.’
- ‘Whittaker was elected as a fellow of Trinity College in 1896 and became first Smith's prizeman in 1897 for a work on pure mathematics, namely on uniform functions.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.