Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An event attended by invited guests at which an art exhibition may be seen before it is opened to the public.‘guests attended a private view of the exhibition last night’
opening ceremony, official opening, launch, initiation, inauguration, institution, foundation, establishment, setting up, formation, constitution, opening night, premiere, first night, first showingView synonyms
- ‘In Mexico City the final preparations are being made for the private view of a retrospective of the work of the painter Frida Kahlo.’
- ‘Shortlisted for this year's Jerwood Painting Prize, when I meet her at her studio in Leith, she is about to fly down to London for the private view of the exhibition.’
- ‘He won't make it to Scotland for his private view, and is in London for only 24 hours before flying to Belgium, where yet another exhibition is opening.’
- ‘On 30 September, the Californian winery Kendall-Jackson conducts a wine tasting for Benjamin West Patrons after a private view of Pre-Raphaelite and Other Masters.’
- ‘Upstairs there was an exhibition called Trademark having its private view.’
- ‘If you're put off private views at art galleries because of the amount of hot air floating about you'll find this bar quite refreshing.’
- ‘I've spent nearly all afternoon trying to produce a map for the back of a private view invitation for a group show I'm doing in mid-October.’
- ‘Come and enjoy a special private view of Matisse, His Art and His Textiles: The Fabric of Dreams which will take place after the exhibition has closed for the day to the public.’
- ‘The hotel opening coincided with a private view of this new work.’
- ‘My wife and I were very pleased to have been invited to the private view of the Henri Matisse exhibition.’
- ‘World-famous artist David Hockney has returned to his roots for a new exhibition of watercolours which opened with a private view at Salts Mill, Saltaire, in Bradford last night.’
- ‘After the coffee and the brandy, heads of state and world leaders are, on occasion, given a visual banquet, a private view of some of the prized drawings in the Royal Collection, which includes incomparable works of art by Leonardo da Vinci.’
- ‘Yeah, I went to a private view at the Saatchi Gallery instead.’
- ‘They told me they were going to the private view opening of a photography exhibition and suggested I tag along.’
- ‘Entertaining also continues in Burlington House's beautiful suite of Fine Rooms, where guests can enjoy a private view of the current exhibition.’
- ‘Patrons and Corporate Members are entitled to entertain at the Academy and to host private views of exhibitions.’
- ‘A private view of the exhibition, Continuum, will be held the previous evening at Keighley College's contemporary art gallery.’
- ‘Judy Burnett is exhibiting Following The Sun, Seascapes And Landscapes, at Pocklington Arts Centre until October 30 with a private view on Sunday.’
- ‘The private view is packed and it's a great night - lots of socialising and sales, so we're on a high for the public opening tomorrow.’
- ‘But the Leith-born artist plans to attend a private view of the first full retrospective of his work being held by the National Galleries of Scotland in May.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.