Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for unearned income
- ‘He lived lavishly at university and, despite his private income, frequently sent to his uncle William for additional funds.’
- ‘This long period of study, which exercised a decisive influence on his life and outlook, was rendered possible by a modest private income, combined with simple living and abstemious habits.’
- ‘Her parents had been forced to downsize the stately to a humble manor house and her private income was minimal.’
- ‘By the early 1950s Minton, with his private income, flamboyant personality and prodigious talent, was a celebrity in the mould of today's Britart pack.’
- ‘His private income enabled him to travel on geological excursions virtually every year, visiting much of Europe in pursuit of stratigraphical successions reaching further and further back in geological time.’
- ‘Regarded as Ireland's first Modernist painter, O'Conor enjoyed the luxury of a private income.’
- ‘Apart from his literary earnings, his appointments at Vienna and Turin had left him ‘master of near a thousand Pound’ and his sister had a small private income of £30 to add to his £50.’
- ‘By losing his private income and his ‘expectations' Pip does not experience a drop in social status.’
- ‘When Churchill became a second lieutenant in the British cavalry in 1895 his pay was £120 a year but a private income of at least double that was necessary to maintain horses and equipment.’
- ‘Delacroix received an upper-class education at the Lycée Impériale in Paris, and for the first few years of his adult life enjoyed a private income, before the family fortunes were ruined by lawsuits over property.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.