Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small hotel or guest house that is privately owned and managed.
- ‘For a long time he lived in a single room in a private hotel but now has a three-roomed apartment in the north-east of the city.’
- ‘I wheeled my suitcase through the warren-like maze of ever-narrowing one-way streets to the private hotel I had chosen as lodgings for my brief stay.’
- ‘They've run the small private hotel since 1989.’
- ‘Three-bed villas start at €300,000 and the development will include a clubhouse and a luxury private hotel.’
- ‘At that time Patrick ran the place as a private hotel and so we lived in considerable luxury.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.