One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rank in the US army, above private and below corporal.
- ‘Gallagher, a private first class in the 1st Engineer Special Brigade, was already ashore.’
- ‘Specialists and privates first class, lead by newly promoted sergeants, perform most dismounted patrols and observation posts.’
- ‘By the time LLVI soldiers begin their first field assignments in a unit, they are often senior privates first class or specialists.’
- ‘I was a private first class, and I was in a mortar platoon.’
- ‘In July, he was fined $1,640 and demoted to private first class for posting on his blog what the military said was classified material.’
- ‘Then, on the pier near the stern of the USNS Bob Hope, the 50-year-old Petraeus gets into a bantering exchange with a 19-year-old private first class.’
- ‘Of all the conversations I had over those weeks, the one I recall the most was with an infantryman, a private first class.’
- ‘The Americans - three corporals and one private first class - were from the 4th Ranger Company and had volunteered for a classified mission.’
- ‘The medical-surgical nurse was responsible for the training of four trauma specialists, two of whom were sergeants, one a specialist, and one a private first class.’
- ‘He was promoted in absentia on May 1 from private first class to the rank of specialist.’
- ‘According to an example Vales gave, a private first class with less than two years in service would be in the A Zone and would receive $6,784.50 for a three-year re-enlistment.’
- ‘They'll revisit the battle sites where the then 26-year-old private first class displayed his gallantry.’
- ‘She was discharged as a private first class in August.’
- ‘Justin's brother, Joshua, is a private first class in the 7th Special Forces based out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina.’
- ‘Soldiers should work on preparing for promotion two grades up; for example, a private first class should be preparing for the sergeant board.’
- ‘Barbisch entered the Army as a private first class in 1967.’
- ‘We did, however, have command sergeants major through privates first class apply as well.’
- ‘Attendees included privates first class by April 1959; nearly 80 percent were tech service specialists in 1966.’
- ‘After neutralizing 5 mice his Army buddies promoted him to private first class.’
- ‘With his eyes grimly locked to mine, he informed me that I would be promoted to private first class that evening.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.