Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rank in the US army, above private and below corporal.
- ‘Gallagher, a private first class in the 1st Engineer Special Brigade, was already ashore.’
- ‘With his eyes grimly locked to mine, he informed me that I would be promoted to private first class that evening.’
- ‘The medical-surgical nurse was responsible for the training of four trauma specialists, two of whom were sergeants, one a specialist, and one a private first class.’
- ‘In July, he was fined $1,640 and demoted to private first class for posting on his blog what the military said was classified material.’
- ‘Of all the conversations I had over those weeks, the one I recall the most was with an infantryman, a private first class.’
- ‘Barbisch entered the Army as a private first class in 1967.’
- ‘The Americans - three corporals and one private first class - were from the 4th Ranger Company and had volunteered for a classified mission.’
- ‘According to an example Vales gave, a private first class with less than two years in service would be in the A Zone and would receive $6,784.50 for a three-year re-enlistment.’
- ‘Soldiers should work on preparing for promotion two grades up; for example, a private first class should be preparing for the sergeant board.’
- ‘Attendees included privates first class by April 1959; nearly 80 percent were tech service specialists in 1966.’
- ‘Justin's brother, Joshua, is a private first class in the 7th Special Forces based out of Fort Bragg, North Carolina.’
- ‘After neutralizing 5 mice his Army buddies promoted him to private first class.’
- ‘Then, on the pier near the stern of the USNS Bob Hope, the 50-year-old Petraeus gets into a bantering exchange with a 19-year-old private first class.’
- ‘He was promoted in absentia on May 1 from private first class to the rank of specialist.’
- ‘I was a private first class, and I was in a mortar platoon.’
- ‘She was discharged as a private first class in August.’
- ‘We did, however, have command sergeants major through privates first class apply as well.’
- ‘Specialists and privates first class, lead by newly promoted sergeants, perform most dismounted patrols and observation posts.’
- ‘By the time LLVI soldiers begin their first field assignments in a unit, they are often senior privates first class or specialists.’
- ‘They'll revisit the battle sites where the then 26-year-old private first class displayed his gallantry.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.