One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A company whose shares may not be offered to the public for sale and which operates under legal requirements less strict than those for a public company.
- ‘In particular, shares in a private company can pass through an estate without probate.’
- ‘That said, there are private companies that are subcontracted to operate speed cameras.’
- ‘The only concern is that the funds involved might be tilted towards one director in a small private company.’
- ‘These will be used to enable private companies involved in health and education to comply with public sector standards.’
- ‘We argue that buying a private company is more risky than buying a public one.’
- ‘Forbes uses the value of publicly traded shares and private companies to obtain its figures.’
- ‘A private company with a vital public role had been given extended use of the public purse to continue doing a bad job.’
- ‘Do we really want private companies deciding what the public is entitled to know?’
- ‘It explains that insurance companies and other private companies are working with Medicare to offer the plans.’
- ‘This practice is prevalent in private companies as well as public sector companies.’
- ‘This will be no surprise to anyone who has observed the award of contracts in the public sector to private companies.’
- ‘We had a great reputation as a private company and I want the same reputation as a public company.’
- ‘Her guns were made by a private company with a legal monopoly on the gladiatorial gun market.’
- ‘The parties agree that there is more than one possible approach to such a valuation of shares in a private company.’
- ‘It has contracted a private company to draw up a business plan for a raft of improvements at the site which is expected to be completed by next summer.’
- ‘The consultant advised that the project be franchised out to a private company through public tender.’
- ‘It is indeed the basis of the distinction made in the Act between a public company and a private company.’
- ‘In private companies all significant shareholders can expect to be directors of their company.’
- ‘Under a 30-year concession, a private company will operate and maintain the highway.’
- ‘The mass mail delivery was part of a campaign by Unison against the increasing use of private companies in public services.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.