One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has been captured and imprisoned by the enemy in war.
- ‘The U.S. Army has a manual on resisting indoctrination when a prisoner of war.’
- ‘A former soldier and a former prisoner of war, he knows both the needs of the military and the pains of imprisonment.’
- ‘It's the same belt buckle he wore on his uniform during the time he was a prisoner of war during World War II.’
- ‘Frank was a returned soldier who had been wounded and captured in Crete and held as a prisoner of war for four years.’
- ‘You were a prisoner of war for more than five years during the Vietnam War.’
- ‘He fought in the Dutch-French wars around 1672 and became a prisoner of war.’
- ‘As a former prisoner of war who was tortured while in captivity, he knows better than anyone else the costs and benefits of such behavior.’
- ‘Soon after he woke up again he was captured by German troops and was a prisoner of war until his release in 1945.’
- ‘The detention of political prisoners and prisoners of war in Aceh is also an ongoing problem.’
- ‘His son, also called Tommy, served with the Royal Navy during the Second World War and was a Japanese prisoner of war for three years.’
- ‘When he considered it, he now was glad that he had been a prisoner of war in Russia after the First World War.’
- ‘After years of evading white soldiers Geronimo was taken to Florida and treated as a prisoner of war.’
- ‘He's a bit more evasive when asked about the treatment of his prisoners of war.’
- ‘We are at war, and it is legal to detain and interrogate enemy prisoners of war.’
- ‘His own Italian grandfather had been a prisoner of war of the Americans at about the same time.’
- ‘Following the surrender of the Belgium army in May 1940 Zeckendorf was interned as a prisoner of war until 1945.’
- ‘He served in the military for almost six years and two years as a prisoner of war.’
- ‘He spent his time sketching and painting naval war scenes until he was captured by the Germans and became a prisoner of war.’
- ‘Other stories in the book stir memories of life as a prisoner of war and the Arnhem campaign in Holland.’
- ‘Second World War prison camps were for prisoners of war and the distinction is clearly important.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.