One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has been captured and imprisoned by the enemy in war.
- ‘He's a bit more evasive when asked about the treatment of his prisoners of war.’
- ‘He spent his time sketching and painting naval war scenes until he was captured by the Germans and became a prisoner of war.’
- ‘Soon after he woke up again he was captured by German troops and was a prisoner of war until his release in 1945.’
- ‘He served in the military for almost six years and two years as a prisoner of war.’
- ‘The detention of political prisoners and prisoners of war in Aceh is also an ongoing problem.’
- ‘A former soldier and a former prisoner of war, he knows both the needs of the military and the pains of imprisonment.’
- ‘When he considered it, he now was glad that he had been a prisoner of war in Russia after the First World War.’
- ‘Following the surrender of the Belgium army in May 1940 Zeckendorf was interned as a prisoner of war until 1945.’
- ‘We are at war, and it is legal to detain and interrogate enemy prisoners of war.’
- ‘You were a prisoner of war for more than five years during the Vietnam War.’
- ‘After years of evading white soldiers Geronimo was taken to Florida and treated as a prisoner of war.’
- ‘The U.S. Army has a manual on resisting indoctrination when a prisoner of war.’
- ‘As a former prisoner of war who was tortured while in captivity, he knows better than anyone else the costs and benefits of such behavior.’
- ‘It's the same belt buckle he wore on his uniform during the time he was a prisoner of war during World War II.’
- ‘His own Italian grandfather had been a prisoner of war of the Americans at about the same time.’
- ‘Frank was a returned soldier who had been wounded and captured in Crete and held as a prisoner of war for four years.’
- ‘Second World War prison camps were for prisoners of war and the distinction is clearly important.’
- ‘He fought in the Dutch-French wars around 1672 and became a prisoner of war.’
- ‘Other stories in the book stir memories of life as a prisoner of war and the Arnhem campaign in Holland.’
- ‘His son, also called Tommy, served with the Royal Navy during the Second World War and was a Japanese prisoner of war for three years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.