One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A camp where prisoners of war or political prisoners are kept under guard.
- ‘The confrontation took place at the Woomera Detention Centre, a prison camp for asylum seekers, situated in the heart of the Australian desert, hundreds of miles from the nearest city.’
- ‘All he had to look forward to in this country was death, a prison camp or compulsory military service.’
- ‘At a later part of the afternoon, the General Michael Lehnert went to the prison camp to address the detainees over a loud speaker and to talk to the guards.’
- ‘When Italy capitulates to the Allies, the Italian jailers desert from the prison camp and the prisoners are left to fend for themselves.’
- ‘They act as guards at the prison camp in Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, and they continue to keep order in the Balkans.’
- ‘If a reporter could get into the country, getting caught would mean getting charged with spying and disappearing into a prison camp.’
- ‘Hague also explicitly criticised Guantánamo Bay, the Cuban prison camp where 500 detainees are being kept without trial.’
- ‘A police barrack soon was fortified into a prison camp, with plans to accommodate 5,000 prisoners.’
- ‘Videotapes taken by the US military at Guantanamo Bay provide new evidence of torture of detainees at the US prison camp.’
- ‘Like an POW in a British prison camp, I was gonna have to stay on my guard.’
- ‘Bliznakov said that the region around the prison camp was less dangerous than Diwania camp, where the current Bulgarian mission is located.’
- ‘For about six weeks in early 1991, both were guards at a prison camp for Iraqis captured during the Gulf War.’
- ‘Inmates held at the prison camp, which has been condemned by human rights groups and governments around the world, have no access to lawyers and face trials in military tribunals.’
- ‘Yet Ngende has been subjected to violent racial attacks, and has spent time in Dungavel, which he describes, unequivocally, as ‘a prison camp, not a detention centre’.’
- ‘The military has classified many details about the prison camp and the detainees and has not identified any of the men being held there.’
- ‘It was once a school, then was turned into a prison camp by the Khmer Rouge, and is now a museum.’
- ‘If the military had taken this step when it established the prison camp, much of the controversy over its handling of detainees there would never have materialized.’
- ‘They all pretended that the dog and pony show staged for them by military authorities at the prison camp provided a true picture of the conditions under which prisoners are being held.’
- ‘In a prison camp near Tokyo, an American, expecting yet another beating, was handed a paper cup of sake wine and his smiling captor informed him that the war was over.’
- ‘This is a community that not only helped Jewish refugees at the beginning of the war but also fed German prisoners in a prison camp nearby.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.