Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Before.‘she visited me on the day prior to her death’
before, until, till, up to, previous to, earlier than, preceding, leading up to, in advance of, ahead of, ante-, pre-View synonyms
- ‘He worked up to seven days a week and had never been in trouble prior to the incident.’
- ‘In the weeks and months prior to his death, he took some steps to organise his financial affairs.’
- ‘But today he said the pair had not made any plans for their wedding prior to their split.’
- ‘The schools had the song sheets for a couple of months prior to the event to practice.’
- ‘Mrs Scott had to spend two weeks in hospital, including a week prior to the Caesarian birth.’
- ‘There will also be a temporary away seating area constructed prior to the start of the new season.’
- ‘He said that the back of the silver Rover had been clipped by the blue Mercedes prior to the collision.’
- ‘When he was spoken to several days later, he denied that he had been drinking prior to the crash.’
- ‘In previous years, they ensured that the ragwort was pulled up prior to its seeding.’
- ‘They complained that they had not been consulted properly by the council prior to the work.’
- ‘Why are cameras not placed at frequent intervals on this road or, at the very least prior to a sharp bend?’
- ‘Hamlet had no significant injury problems prior to their midweek match at Fleet Town.’
- ‘The mining industry had not been a major direct source of state revenue prior to the depression.’
- ‘Informed consent was obtained from each individual prior to the beginning of the study.’
- ‘We caught up with Ellis just prior to the release of the first issue and asked him, why Los Angeles?’
- ‘Nor is he the sort of method actor who immerses himself in a role for months prior to shooting.’
- ‘It may be necessary to make arrangements for a banker's draft prior to the sale.’
- ‘We saw the stables where the pit ponies were kept prior to going down the pit.’
- ‘He was in his eighties and had lived an active life as a farmer prior to his retirement.’
- ‘The concert was his last as he has resigned prior to becoming head of strings at Bedford School.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.