Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The leading female role in a pantomime.
- ‘I got a phone call from my agent saying someone had dropped out of playing principal girl at York, and would I audition.’
- ‘Young shopgirls Carly Zoeller, Sarah Clyde and Lisa-Marie Wade are bolstered by dance-trained Melissa Swindell, a former pantomime principal girl for the society.’
- ‘The show was a pantomime called The Happy Ha'penny, in which Sims played the principal girl.’
- ‘A show with two principal girls necessitates two villains and the Players' specialists in villainy are the brace of Andys: Mr Andy Love as Sinistro, the wicked sorcerer, and Mr Andy Welch as Crunchbones, the witch doctor.’
- ‘Mieke Jackson adds the role of Dick Whittington to her lengthy list of principal-boy performances, while principal girl Sarah Davis makes her debut for the Players as Alice Fitzwarren.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.