One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The leading female role in a pantomime.
- ‘The show was a pantomime called The Happy Ha'penny, in which Sims played the principal girl.’
- ‘A show with two principal girls necessitates two villains and the Players' specialists in villainy are the brace of Andys: Mr Andy Love as Sinistro, the wicked sorcerer, and Mr Andy Welch as Crunchbones, the witch doctor.’
- ‘Young shopgirls Carly Zoeller, Sarah Clyde and Lisa-Marie Wade are bolstered by dance-trained Melissa Swindell, a former pantomime principal girl for the society.’
- ‘I got a phone call from my agent saying someone had dropped out of playing principal girl at York, and would I audition.’
- ‘Mieke Jackson adds the role of Dick Whittington to her lengthy list of principal-boy performances, while principal girl Sarah Davis makes her debut for the Players as Alice Fitzwarren.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.