Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A method of analysis which involves finding the linear combination of a set of variables that has maximum variance and removing its effect, repeating this successively.
- ‘We conducted principal component analysis for all characters, including all individuals of the five species, and also for each species separately.’
- ‘To study the free-energy landscape of a protein, principal component analysis is known to be a useful tool.’
- ‘Vegetation structure was also quantified with principal component analysis because multivariate measures of vegetation can lead to more powerful interpretations by examining the interrelationship among variables.’
- ‘To reduce the number of statistical tests performed with multiple song features, a common practice is to apply principal component analysis.’
- ‘The high- and low-pressure spectra were chosen from the time series by analyzing the series with principal component analysis and using the scores of the first component to pick out the extremes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.