Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Each of three mutually perpendicular axes in a body about which the moment of inertia is at a maximum.
- ‘The principal axes of the moment of inertia tensor will be used to give us an idea of the overall rotation of the molecule.’
- ‘In this case, the three sources of rotation can be oriented in two different ways with respect to one another - left-handed and right-handed - and the total spin is askew to the three principal axes.’
- ‘Taking all these assignments into account, we can now calculate a rotational diffusion coefficient for the three principal axes of the inertia tensor, the two-tail vectors, the PN vector, and the intramolecular vector.’
- ‘The rotation axis was the principal axis of the largest moment of inertia of the helix.’
- ‘The relative lengths of the principal axes of the inertia tensor of I27 NHT are 1.0: 0.97: 0.42, thus indicating that cylindrical symmetry can be assumed.’
- 1.1another term for optical axis
- ‘We suspect that the new species described here may be transitional between the two genera, because it contains spicules that are diagonal and others that are parallel to the principal axis.’
- ‘After all, there is a large body of research showing that individuals find it easiest to recognize the intermediate or ‘canonical’ views of familiar objects that have a principal axis of elongation.’
- ‘This specimen resembles those of Diagoniella cyathiformis because the skeletal net is composed of diagonally arranged stauractines and diactines, oriented at approximately 45° to the principal axis of the sponge.’
- ‘The second is the orientation of the amino acid with respect to the principal axis of the other helix; the more the amino acid is directed toward the other helix, the better its burial.’
- ‘It is not clear whether they evaluated these deviations along the principal axes or along an arbitrary reference frame.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.