Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The pursuit of pleasure, especially when it is seen to bring disastrous consequences.‘blithely unaware of his doom, he continued down his primrose path’
- ‘‘As much as I admire our top clients, if I'm not doing anything but listening to their opinions, I'm going to be led down the primrose path,’ Dexheimer says.’
- ‘This game has been going on a long time, and better men than you or me have been led down the primrose path.’
- ‘It is often the hard taskmaster who alone succeeds in instilling mistrust of primrose paths.’
- ‘They chose the primrose path; when they found it was not all primroses, but some of it brambly, and much of it uphill, they began to think and to speak of themselves as holy martyrs.’
- ‘Thank you for showing us the fallacy of the primrose path of safety before the stakes get too high.’
- ‘We can no longer be taken backwards so much that we cannot see when we are being led down a primrose path.’
- ‘It taps into discontent with the wealthy and powerful and the status quo, giving a taste of social critique, but gradually leads the viewer down the primrose path of acceptance and ultimate acquiescence.’
- ‘But pretending the budget doesn't matter is the primrose path to high taxes and poor services.’
- ‘The populace wanting a reprieve from ‘the necessities of their condition,’ he wrote, had been led down the primrose path by a mirage of well-being to which ideological conjurers had made them feel entitled.’
- ‘In the one glass, alcohol can stimulate the mind or lend courage to the meek; in the other, it is a primrose path to perdition.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.