Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The characteristic sequence of amino acids forming a protein or polypeptide chain, considered as the most basic element of its structure.
- ‘The sequence of amino acids, called the primary structure of the enzyme, is determined by the gene coding for the enzyme.’
- ‘This, in turn, provides additional support for the hypothesis that life at high temperatures imposes unusual functional constraints on the primary structure of proteins.’
- ‘The primary structure of peptides and proteins refers to the linear number and order of the amino acids present.’
- ‘A protein's primary structure refers to the sequence of amino acids in the molecule.’
- ‘Although various substitutions occur in primary structures of immunoglobulin light chains, no common amino acid has yet been identified which is unique to AL amyloidosis or other immunoglobulin-related diseases.’
The parts of an aircraft whose failure would seriously endanger safety.
- ‘The certification of the 737 Composite Horizontal Stabilizer was the first large commercial aircraft primary structure in the world certified for commercial aircraft.’
- ‘All of the airplane's primary structure was found at the accident site.’
- ‘Fusion welded aluminum primary structures in airplanes are virtually nonexistent, because the high-strength alloys utilized have low weldability and low weld-joint efficiencies.’
- ‘Primary structure for present transport aircraft is designed, based on average expected operational conditions and average fatigue test results, for 120,000 hrs.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.