One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An unconscious thought process arising from the pleasure principle, such as condensation or displacement, which is irrational and not subject to compulsion.
- ‘The oceanic feeling associated with primary process and pleasure principle experience must ultimately give way to the reality of Time bounded experience and the secondary process.’
- ‘Discarded signifiers (not used in the immediacy of secondary process language and thought) continue to be organised, largely by the primary processes of displacement, condensation and symbol formation.’
- ‘Whitaker accessed the symbolic world of the family to facilitate primary process relating.’
- ‘People may be attracted to such virtual environments because - like dreams - they satisfy this need for an alternative view of reality by encouraging the unconscious, primary process styles of thinking.’
- ‘Nietzsche's duality of Dionysian and Apollonian closely resembles Freud's duality of primary process and secondary process.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.