One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of colours from which all other colours can be obtained by mixing.
- ‘His love for colour, in particular primary colours, was his inspiration, and some of his art work still sits in the Red Room.’
- ‘Colour images apply this same scale to red, green and blue (the primary colours light can be divided into, and the colours a colour monitor displays.’
- ‘It consists of two complementary colors (yellow and cyan), a primary color and colorless.’
- ‘In each, the stems of six calla lilies are photographed close-up against monochrome grounds that vary from primary colors to secondaries to subtly nuanced tertiary browns and brown-grays.’
- ‘The thread - whether silk, hand-carded and hand-spun mohair or wool - is dyed using only the three primary colours but in combination a myriad of colours is achieved.’
- ‘Each story has a primary colour associated with it; for example, the colour red permeates all facets of costuming in the first flashback, which focuses on jealousy.’
- ‘This research supported the theory of the existence of three primary colors and their complementary secondaries.’
- ‘Each of these grade levels used only white and the primary colors (magenta for red, turquoise for blue, and yellow) to produce all of the colors needed to create their impression of a Claude Monet painting.’
- ‘In the mixture of pigments primary colours are said to be those three colours other than black, white, and grey, no two of which can be mixed to produce the third but which together can produce all possible hues.’
- ‘Basing an exhibition around the strictures of three primary colours is a brave undertaking for any gallery.’
- ‘It uses a special chip containing proprietary algorithms that translate red-green-blue video signals into five primary colors - adding yellow and cyan.’
- ‘Instead of seeing four primary colors, however, color-blind people detect only two primary colors (blue and yellow) and do not see intermediate color.’
- ‘We can design materials with desirable properties, such as the ability to emit the three primary colours enabling us to make any colour on the spectrum.’
- ‘Land and sky divided into two horizontal bands, depicted by two primary colours, blue and yellow, and the resultant secondary colour, green.’
- ‘The second half is very bright, with fierce primary colours and a purple helicopter.’
- ‘Bobby's group concentrated on still-life in oils and working with an extended colour palette had an opportunity to explore and under-stand colour, using primary colours and their complements.’
- ‘They learned to discuss subject matter in art, how to make secondary colors from primary colors, and the effective use of pattern.’
- ‘Colour Correction filters are available in primary colors - green, red and blue - and printing colors - yellow, cyan and magenta.’
- ‘Colours are powdered pastels, warm naturals, primary colours and unusual accents.’
- ‘A variation that some students successfully employ is to use several circles, painting pure primary colors inside one, secondaries in another and intermediates in yet another circle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.